If you are looking for the epic motorcycle journey blog that I've written, please see the Miles By Motorcycle site I put together. 
  • Subscribe to this RSS Feed
  • Ian
    Who'da thunk
    07/08/2015 11:10PM

    As a fan of OpenBSD and open source in general, I find this most interesting.  Microsoft just became the first "Gold" donor to the OpenBSD Foundation ever.  Every single company that uses OpenSSH - from Google and Facebook to Oracle, IBM, and HP to Red Hat and Cisco - none of them have ever contributed to the support of OpenSSH as much as Microsoft has.  Really, we're talking peanuts here.  Microsoft is the first to donate more than $25,000.  Google and Facebook come in in the $10,000 to $25,000 range.  You think the open source community supports itself?  Come on, Google...

    It's kinda lame to post Slashdot links, but this is a good one.




  • Ubuntu 14.04 LTS nodejs npm install generates sudo unable to resolve host error
    12/21/2014 12:38PM

    In attempting to install grunt under Ubuntu 14.04 I kept getting the infamous error:

    grunt@0.4.5 /home/yml/sudo: unable to resolve host cylon 

    However, in my case I had resolved the sudo error some time ago by setting /etc/hosts and /etc/hostname correctly. It turns out that while installing Titanium Appcelerator, /etc/npmrc was updated with some trash entries listing directory names which were the full text of the sudo error.

    Setting prefix="" in /etc/npmrc resolved the problem for me and I was able to install grunt and other node packages. 

  • Lubuntu disregarding disabling light locker screen locker settings
    11/01/2014 2:27PM

    It turns out the system wide light locker (Screen locker password prompt after inactivity) setting incorrectly overrides the per-user account one. 

    Move the system wide one to a backup file:

    sudo mv /etc/xdg/autostart/light-locker.desktop /etc/xdg/autostart/light-locker.desktop.bak

    Then make sure the Exec= line is empty in:


    See this question: http://askubuntu.com/questions/502942/lubuntu-enforces-screen-lock 

  • Getting WIFI Wireless to work under Lubuntu 14.40 on a Thinkpad X100E
    10/30/2014 1:02PM

    This represented over an hour of my life.

    After upgrading to Lubuntu 14.04 LTS on my Lenovo Thinkpad X100E, I was unable to enable the wifi adapter. 

    In a terminal window "rfkill list" showed that wlan0 was soft-blocked. Enabling it using rfkill did not solve my problem as the UI would continue to show wifi as disabled.

    Clicking on nm-applet would continue to show "Wifi disabled". 

    After over an hour of searching around the solution presented itself.

    Right click on nm-applet and click on the Enable Wifi item on /that/ menu. If you left click, "Enable Wifi" is greyed out. If you right click, a different menu is presented with a working "Enable Wifi" item.

  • beanstalkd
    09/05/2014 2:39PM
    This is a lightweight fast message  queue implementation with wide language support: http://kr.github.io/beanstalkd/