Finally! After just six days shy of 1 year, I have an alpha test release of my business web platform software, formVista, completed and have actually managed to upgrade YML.COM.
The new software includes a bunch of new features and improvements and, undoubtedly, quite a few new bugs.
Key new features include:
- Member Features
- completely revamped login, account, profile system which also includes a complete private web messaging system which you can access from the Msgs link in the upper right hand corner.
- You can now send private messages through the website to other members.
- Notifications generated by the website will be listed in your notifications tab in your account (see Msgs link in the upper right after you have logged in)
- there is now a real members database which you can search.
- there is now a concept of "Watching" a thing, such as a blog article, forum or thread. If you click "Watch" and set it to "on" you will be notified immediately whenever a post is made.
- You can control your notifications through the Settings Link in the upper right.
- You can also control some basic privacy settings through the same settings link.
- YML.COM now supports social networking style friends lists although it's in its early stages. You can invite members to become friends.
- If you invite someone from outside of YML.COM to join us here, once they join, they will automatically be included in your friends list.
- New Blog
- the Blog has been completely rewritten to look more like a blog and now has a convenient category, month, year and page index making finding articles much easier.
- blog article comments now work correctly and you will receive a notification if anyone posts to your article or if you've posted a comment and anyone else posts a comments.
- blogs support saving of drafts which can be recalled later.
- a new version of the WYSIWYG htmleditor is included which should work in most modern browsers.
- You can select to "watch" a blog and be notified of any activity in the blog.
- Blog articles now update the title and include permalinks.
- New Forum
- the forum supports POSTING OF IMAGES and YOUTUBE VIDEO inline! (Yes, Micro, I thought of you when I built. Everyone else, be afraid, very afriad)
- the forum has been completely rewritten. It will now send you a notification, through private web messages, each time a post is made to a thread that you have posted to.
- Forums also support the "watch" feature.
- Forums now support a wide set of emoticons. I'll post a list of abbrevations somewhere.
- supports permalinks.
- You can now quote messages inline when replying to them.
- Member Photos
- The shared photos component has been improved and now supports posting of comments
There are endless changes under the hood of this monstrosity. Something to keep in mind is that this site has been assembled completely inside a web browser. Other than installing the software, everything else done to put this site together was done in a browser.
Getting the popup dialogs, drop out calendars, inline text image uploading, etc to work for a majority of current browsers has been very painful.
So this is where YOU come in. If you would, please let me know if you get any weird error messages, notice any strange behavior, if things are unclear. If you can post your thoughts in the forum but if for some reason that doesn't work just use the Contact Yermo link at the top.
There is still a large amount of work for me to do but YML.COM will be getting alot of attention in the coming weeks.